As a dancer, I travel a lot. Whether I am on tour with an artist, performing at a corporate event, or shooting on location, there are certain easy to pack items I bring to ensure I always have a healthy option when I can’t find something fresh. My requirement for all the items are that they be – 1. multipurpose and 2. relatively sturdy (kale chips turn to dust).
Produce Items: Unripe bananas and avocado (more durable for travel). Apples.
Other Items: Brown Rice Cakes, Instant Oatmeal packs (original or a brand that’s not loaded with sugar), Seaweed snacks, Homemade Trail mix – often almonds, sunflower seeds, dates, dried cranberries, goji berries and mulberries.
My friends at Rockit Apples sent me some of their cuties (pictured above) to try. They come stacked 5 high in a plastic tennis tube like container which made it super easy to chuck in my suitcase and backpack without further protection. The apples stood the test of travel and tasted sweet and delicious. The packaging is too much to replace my hand picked farmer’s market beauties for home, however they served their purpose flawlessly in this case.
healthy hotel room snacks and mini meals
- Oatmeal with Almond Butter and Banana – Use the coffee pot on your hotel room for hot water
- Oatmeal with Trail Mix
- Rice cakes topped with almond butter and banana
- Rice cakes with Avocado (add salt, red pepper and lemon if possible)
- Avocado sushi! Slice up avocado and wrap in seaweed snacks. Surprisingly satisfying especially when you buy the wasabi seaweed.
- Assortment of apple and banana slices and dates with dollops of almond butter